Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Curve With Silence

Since I started doing ceramics, I've been ruminating on trying to make my work more 'from scratch'. I recently started doing metalwork classes to help me to this end. The thing now is trying to co-ordinate all the different lines of development/experimentation that I'm doing with these different materials. Do I sit down and sketch designs then make all the elements? I don't tend to work like that. I've always favoured the chance, 'hands on', combining of things, the designs that come to you when you happen to have some of the materials in front of you.

I've just finished (and listed!) a large batch of beads. When making them I did make the time to make some beads just for me, to use in pieces that were already formed in my head. This pair of earrings is one example.


Admittedly there wasn't much to add. Really, sometimes, I'm just a sucker for 'sticking a pearl on top'. I did stretch to a pair of blackened vintage bezels, drilled to make bead caps, and a couple of etched brass rings.
And I don't think they need any thing more. They're listed here on Etsy.

Bye for now, Claire

www.somethingtodo.etsy.com
www.somethingtodobeads.etsy.com
www.somethingtodowithyourhands.com


11 comments:

  1. Oh my!!! I absolutely love those spikes, they take my breath away. And the simplicity of the elements you added is perfect. Just WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these so very much. They are soft with the feminine pearl, but hard edged and masculine. 'Queenly grunge' I would call this style, and you rock it! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous set Claire! I love everything about these earrings! The ceramic and metals are just perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So totally original. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I think I am in love. Can you be in love with a pair of earrings? Well, I am now. These are gorgeous Claire. I love the spikes, love how you made bead caps from the bezels, love the combination of the vintage with the new, the toughness with the feminine. Yes, I am definitely in love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your latest batch of beads on Etsy. Unfortunately I missed the time and my favorites where already sold. :-(
    These earrings have a kind of proud air to them I feel. Stretched out long and crowned as the are, with that classy pearl on top. Or perhaps they are two elizabethan figures with white heads and fringy collars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Someone said they take her breath away. . . I felt the same way. Art jewelry is art! If the photo of these earrings was hanging in a gallery, I would stare at it a long time. They are art, plain and simply art. They reached me emotionally. Awesomeness, Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect!!!! I almost purchased these from you last shop update. and You are correct, they don't need anything else, ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heck no, these don't need anything else - they're perfection! Your ceramics look like natural horn or shell, loving them :) I'm totally feeling the "less is more" concept lately, so these are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. See the link below for more info.


    #silence
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete