Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Northern Lights

Northern Lights Earrings

As a person who has lived in the northern tier of the country for most of my life, you would think that at one time or another I would have seen the northern lights. Charged particles from the sun that dance and shimmer in the night sky in awe inspiring displays, named after the Roman goddess of dawn, Aurora. But I am still a northern lights virgin, and have to imagine what they might look like based on the eye witness accounts of others.

Gorgeous Basha beads have the look of ancient primitive glass, with colors that dance in the light like the Aurora Borealis. So, what to do with these ethereal and slightly intimidating lampwork beads? I fashioned rustic copper arches, hammered them with a rugged texture, and darkened them. The idea was to provide a primitive looking hoop earring base for the Basha beads to hang from, surrounded by messy wrapped copper wire.




Gloria Ewing

Chrysalis Tribal Jewelry
Chrysalis Too on Etsy

10 comments:

  1. Stunning Gloria!! I've had my eye on some Basha beads for awhile. You certainly used them to their fullest advantage. Amazing Earrings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristi! You should definitely try some Basha. They are amazing beads, and I'm sure you would create something luscious with them.

      Delete
  2. Those beads you used made me stop and look twice. The rustic arches set the beads off perfectly.

    Aurora Borealis - Northern Lights! I grew up in Northern Ontario Canada, a small place called New Liskeard and frequently took trips to Timmins, Sault Ste Marie, Kapuskasing, etc to visit friends and family, and for sports tournaments. One of my greatest joys is watching the Northern Lights. They take away my breath every single time, and I've probably seen them about a thousand times. Not kidding and not mentioning my age :-)

    You have to be willing to go out around midnight or later, usually on a colder summer night or an extremely cold winter night

    Thanks for the wonderful memories
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mona! I have been to northern Ontario a few times, apparently just not at the right time but I will keep hoping.

      Delete
  3. These earrings really capture the feel and look of Northern Lights. So beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nathalie! I bet you have seen Northern Lights many times.

      Delete
  4. Oh my! So pretty! They really do invoke the wonder, the magic and the mystery of the Aurora Borealis! A perfect foil to your rustic components. Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Added these to my NOT YOUR ORDINARY JEWELRY folder that I use as inspiration. How long is your challenge to yourself? To make a pair of earrings every day? These are exceptional. Did you cut and oxidize the metal yourself?

    I grew up in Pensacola, FL by the now-devastated Gulf of Mexico, thousands of miles from Northern Lights country. And yet, we saw them now and then and we dazzled speechless. Didn't find out until I heard from an old jr. hi bf 10 yrs. ago that what we were actually seeing were atmospheric tests conducted by the Naval Air Station. Don't care. Still dream about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn! Yes I cut, myself and grind down the edges. Then I hammer texture onto them and also hammer the edges with a ball peen hammer, add a darkening agent and buff.

      I guess the idea of the Northern Lights wouldn't be so magical if everyone had seen them? But I hope you and I both are lucky enough to see them someday!

      Delete